29 Sep Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Cherry Compote
Posted at 13:54h in Recipes
Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Cherry Compote
Recipe by Pieter Dijkstra, Chef de Cuisine at A Spice of Life
Photo By Joe Lavine
For Buttermilk Panna Cotta:
- 6 ramekins (6 ounces each)
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Spray ramekins with oil.
- Soak gelatin with water in a bowl to soften.
- Heat cream, sugar, zest and vanilla extract, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to just boiling.
- Stir in gelatin until completely dissolved.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Divide into ramekins and cool until firm.
- To remove, set ramekin in a warm water bath and run a knife around edge.
- Turn upside down onto plate and serve with cherry compote.
For Cherry Compote:
- 1 pound cherries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Remove stems and seeds from cherries.
- Combine cherries, sugar and ginger with 1 tablespoon water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Combine remaining water and cornstarch.
- Add slurry to pan and return to boil.
- Simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool.
Number of servings: 6