29 Sep Smoky Bacon and Butternut Squash Pasta
Posted at 15:02h in Recipes
Smoky Bacon and Butternut Squash Pasta
Recipe by Pieter Dijkstra, Chef de Cuisine at A Spice of Life
Photo By Povy Kendal Atchison
- 3 tablespoons table salt, divided
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 thick slices smoked bacon, cut into ?-inch strips
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, divided
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 10 ounces campanelle or penne pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, toasted
- Bring a large pot of water and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Cook Brussels sprouts until fork-tender. Cool in an ice-water bath. Strain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside, leaving grease. Add onion, garlic and half of the butter to grease, and sauté until onions are clear. Add squash and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Toss in sprouts, pepper flakes and bacon. Add stock. Simmer over medium.
- While stock is reducing, add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water. Stir occasionally until pasta is al dente (about 8 minutes).
- When pasta is cooked, add cheese and remaining butter to squash mixture, stirring until dissolved.
- Toss pasta with vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Garnish with bread crumbs.