29 Sep Mushroom Bread Pudding
Posted at 13:58h in Recipes
Mushroom Bread Pudding
Recipe by Pieter Dijkstra, Chef de Cuisine at A Spice of Life
- 1/4 pound focaccia, cut into very small cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1/2 pound cremini and/or button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces pesto (optional)
- Lightly toast focaccia and set aside to cool.
- Mix egg yolk and cream together; set aside.
- Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and lightly toast garlic and shallots. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown on edges; set aside to cool.
- Combine cooled, cooked ingredients plus egg and cream, bread and herbs and let sit for 10 minutes so bread absorbs liquid. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Liberally grease four 6-ounce ramekins. Pour one level scoop of mushroom mixture into each ramekin, making sure each pudding has some liquid.
- Cook for 12 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Let cool slightly before removing puddings from pan.
- Before serving, reheat and top with a dollop of pesto, if using.
Number of servings (yield): 4